beesinyourbonnet

Subaru might be quietly building a Tesla-killer

Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:32 pm

Since this part of the electric car forum had no article, I thought I'd share one. :)

Subaru may be rolling out an all-electric crossover by 2021.

Subaru, which is owned by Fuji Heavy Industries, plans to launch the vehicle within the next five years and base the car on the Forester or the company’s next Outback, according to the Japanese news site Nikkan Kogyo Shimbun, which cited sources close to the matter.

The car will be built on Subaru’s Global Platform, which the company announced in March, according to the report. The platform enables the company to easily build a wide variety of vehicles, including electric vehicles and plug-in hybrids.

Subaru declined to comment for this story, but a company spokesperson told Automotive News that if the company did build an electric car, it would most likely be built on the new Global Platform.

The company is one of many automakers aiming to venture into long range, all-electric cars during the next few years. General Motors, Ford, Volkswagen, Volvo and others are all ramping up investment in the space.

Tesla, though, has a leg up on most of the competition. The company already sells the Model S and Model X, and aims to begin delivering its first mass market electric car, the Model 3, by 2018.

Volvo is aiming to launch its first electric vehicle in 2019. Volkswagen plans to roll out 20 new vehicles with either battery-powered or plug-in hybrid drivetrains by 2025, and Ford is also expected to launch a 200-mile range electric vehicle within five years.

So far, General Motors is the only major automaker that will launch its long-range EV before Tesla. The car maker plans to launch its $37,000 Chevrolet Bolt, which has a range of more than 200 miles, next year.

theflash

Re: Subaru might be quietly building a Tesla-killer

Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:15 pm

If you notice- this has become a trend: every few days a new car claims to kill Tesla. It hasn't happened yet. I'll believe it when I see it.

jimmyjon

Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:32 am

As people have said many times before Tesla must love the free PR

kimball07

Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:57 pm

jimmyjon wrote:As people have said many times before Tesla must love the free PR

From their growth, they must enjoy it. The first thing any brand does when they launch a new car is claim it's gonna beat Tesla. I suppose it gets them some good publicity too. Why else would everyone do it?

aidan

Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:34 am

Subaru is getting itself into the running though. A few announcements lately about them getting heavy into the EV race for the best:)

Tessy

Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:29 pm

Tesla killer I doubt but there is always room for more competition

jimmyjon

Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:46 am

kimball07 wrote:
jimmyjon wrote:As people have said many times before Tesla must love the free PR

From their growth, they must enjoy it. The first thing any brand does when they launch a new car is claim it's gonna beat Tesla. I suppose it gets them some good publicity too. Why else would everyone do it?

I totally agree with you...it does get them publicity instantly

kimball07

Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:30 pm

Tessy wrote:Tesla killer I doubt but there is always room for more competition

Yeah. Besides, if there's no competition, Tesla just gets to price its vehicles however high it wants to.

Tessy

Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:34 pm

kimball07 wrote:
Tessy wrote:Tesla killer I doubt but there is always room for more competition

Yeah. Besides, if there's no competition, Tesla just gets to price its vehicles however high it wants to.
Not only Tesla but every manufacturer. Competition is great for the consumer

Return to “Subaru Electric Vehicles”