beesinyourbonnet

Hyundai sees Ioniq as brand hero

Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:07 pm

I found this very interesting article for EV forum.

Hyundai sees its new Ioniq as its green flagship and a key image booster in Europe even if sales will be relatively small.

The Ioniq five-door hatchback comes as a hybrid, plug-in hybrid or a full-electric car, the first time an automaker has offered those three green drivetrains in one body style.

The Ioniq's environmentally friendly drivetrains and its sleek, coupe-like profile will win new types of customers and raise the brand's profile, said Jochen Sengpiehl, Hyundai Europe's marketing boss. "We call the car's customer target group Generation Ioniq. They are not millennials and they are not a specific age group because all ages are interested in sustainable transport," he said.

The Ioniq’s plug-in hybrid and full-electric versions have impressive driving ranges under electric power. The plug-in hybrid can be driven for up to 50km using electric power alone. It has a 1.6-liter gasoline engine and a 45 kilowatt electric motor with an 8.9-kilowatt-hour lithium-ion polymer battery pack. The all-electric variant has a range of up to 280km. It has a 28-kilowatt-hour battery pack and an 88 kilowatt electric motor (equivalent to 120 hp).

In all versions the battery pack is under the rear seats, which allows the Ioniq to offer 443 liters of cargo space with the rear seats up and 1,505 liters with the rear seats folded down. The Ioniq will be priced aggressively with the hybrid starting at 23,900 euros in Germany and the EV costing 33,300 euros. The plug-in hybrid will be priced in between.

Fast facts

Target customers: Green-car buyers who might be considering a similarly sized Toyota Prius or BMW i3 or the smaller Nissan Leaf.

Equipment: Standard advanced safety systems include automatic emergency braking, lane-keeping assist, blind-spot detection and rear cross-traffic alert.

Guarantee: The battery pack has an 8-year, 200,000km warranty.

Connectivity: Apple CarPlay, Android Audio; wireless charging for mobile phones.

Launch date: Autumn (hybrid, EV -- Europe); 2017 (plug-in hybrid -- Europe)

Where built: Ulsan, South Korea

Annual sales forecast (2016): Global - 30,000; Europe - 4,500 (3,000 Ioniq Hybrid, 1,500 Ioniq Electric)

Lowest CO2 emissions: 79g/km (hybrid); 32g/km (plug-in hybrid)

http://europe.autonews.com/article/2016 ... brand-hero

Tessy

Re: Hyundai sees Ioniq as brand hero

Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:21 pm

There are a lot of typically EV's for North America hitting it in foreign markets. I can only assume those markets have their own EVs. I look forward to reading how the Ioniq sells in Europe

voltage

Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:10 am

Coming out with 3 different power trains for the same vehicle all at one time does give it standing to be a brand hero

Phximiev

Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:09 am

Fully Charged on the Ioniq:

https://youtu.be/0kZgYdKmIKA

jimmyjon

Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:58 am

I agree it could be there brand hero

Phximiev

Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:19 pm